Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 6 and I'm STILL HERE...

Ok--I know that I am an active person, and I probably do a lot more running around and "going" than the average person, but I really think the fact that I have not left my house since Friday (6 days!!!) is overkill! I don't think I have stayed home all day long this many days in a row since, well, ever!!!! Yesterday, I did get to walk all the way out the driveway to get the mail, but even this had to be done with the assistance of my 8 year old son who insisted on walking by me the entire way and then checking the mailbox first to make sure there wasn't anything too heavy for me to carry. Luckily, there wasn't, so I did get the awesome independent feeling of carrying in two envelopes and the weekly mailer--woohoo! On Sunday evening, I looked at my husband and said, "Surely, it has been 3 weeks!" "3 days" was his response--oh my. I know I am driving my babysitters (i.e. my sister, Cassie, and my mom) crazy. They are getting to take the kids to their activities and all I have done is become really familiar with old episodes of "Everybody Loves Raymond", and "Roseanne". Even the kids are becoming bored--with the very first summer utterings of "There's nothing to do" and "I'm so bored".
As for my physical recovery, it seems to be going well. Mom removed the pain pump on Monday afternoon and that freed up two tubes and a huge bag that hung over my shoulder everywhere I went. I still have two drains hanging out of either hip. I am hoping the doctor will remove at least one of them on Friday when I go in for my first post-op visit. Which also means I GET TO LEAVE THE HOUSE!!!! The second one will probably have to stay in for at least another week. It is very uncomfortable and makes simple things like getting a shower, much more difficult. The incision continues to look like something out of "Silence of the Lambs". It runs from the top of one hipbone, clear down over my old c-section scar, and then back up to the other hipbone. I'm not usually very squeemish about things like that (5 c-sections, and a gall bladder surgery tend to do that to you), but when I take all the dressings off the incision, it does give me chills. I just tell myself that the giant "W" the incision forms stands for "WINNER!" which is exactly the opposite of how I feel right now. I'm sure that I will feel more like myself each day and my stamina will slowly build back up. It is just hard to realize that a week ago today, I ran 2 miles, lifted weights, took the kids to a picnic at the park, and all while I was on a clear liquid diet for the day. I am hoping that removing my "energy" wasn't part of the surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment