Friday, March 26, 2010

Who would have thought...

...that watching your child recover from surgery would tell you sooo much about their personality and how they will probably handle any situation they are faced with ? Dax had his tonsils out on Wednesday, and thankfully, he is doing very well. But, boy is he a fighter! So far, the oldest 4 have had to have their tonsils and adenoids removed. It really is too bad they aren't worth something. We grow 'em pretty big and you would think that we could harvest them or something--kind of like when I lost 130 pounds and had to have all my rings sized down. I had to pay them to do it, when actually, I think I should have been paid! I mean they got an awful lot of gold off those rings!!! Anyway, having done this tonsil-thing four times now, you begin to reminisce and notice certain patterns with your kids. When Drew got his tonsils out, they tried to calm him down after he woke up before they let me go back there. It was terrible because I could hear him crying and screaming, but they didn't want me to get scared, plus violate the other patient's privacy, so they didn't let me go back right away. When I did get to go back, Drew was sitting straight up in bed, eyes as big as saucers, screaming and scared to death. Even after he saw me, he still looked so scared and was afraid to move. This is how Drew handles things in life. He approaches everything very cautiously and is scared to make a mistake. He is always trying to make the best possible choice and has so many fears. When Dawsyn had her surgery, I remember dreading hearing her cry and scream before I could back, but this never happened. They finally came to get me and when I got back there, Dawsyn was sitting in her bed staring at some point on the wall in front of her with her little fists balled as tight as she could get them and her mouth shut tight. When the nurses or I would ask her anything the answer was always one quick, angry word, such as "NO", "FINE", and "YES". She didn't want me to hold her, she didn't want a popsicle and she felt fine!!! So Dawsyn! She still can't stand to accept help, she would rather try to handle everything on her own. If something is scary or worrisome, Dawsyn simply acts like it isn't happening and refuses to admit anything is going on. And boy does she get ANGRY! My dad calls her fire-starter and that day I was truely worried the hospital might go up in flames! When it was Delaney's turn, I was so worried for my Little Laney-Lou. She was the youngest of my children to get the operation and she was having severe breathing issues because of the tonsils. When they finally let me go back, it was an Oscar-worthy performance. The wailing and beating of fists, the crying, and thrashing about! She looked as though she was trying out for the next Lifetime movie of the month!! Nothing would calm her ...and this went on for at least 3 days! That's Delaney's "M.O." Everything is the biggest deal EVER! She has no small emotions. She is always EXTREMELY HAPPY or EXTREMELY SAD. She does nothing little or quietly. She approaches problems by getting VERY angry or trying to laugh them off until she cries! So, what would this surgery show me about my little Dax-man??? Basically--DON'T MESS!!!! We had just gotten done with our consultation with the Doctor, when a nurse came and said, "We need mom back in recovery!" Of course, at first I was nervous, but she said everything was fine, they just really needed me. When I got back there, I saw why. Dax was climbing out of the bed, and was half-way up a nurses torso, hitting her and pulling at her hair. His tubes and wires were all tangled and he was screaming and scratching at anyone who came near him. He looked like a little monkey who had gone mad! When the nurse saw me, she just shoved him at me and said, "Here's MOMMY!!" He opened his eyes, looked at me and I said, "It's OK buddy, Mommy's here". He started to cry and I said,"I don't have to leave again, OK?" He quietly whispered "OK" and laid his head on my shoulder and slept for an hour and a half. The nurses all breathed a sigh of relief. It must have been bad before I got back there because even the anesthesiologist walked by a few times and made comments about how that was much better now that Mommy was here. They even let me sit back there as the recovery room filled with other patients who were telling personal info and having dressings changed. They REALLY did not want me to leave. I think that is how Dax will handle life--he is going to come out fighting! Hopefully, he'll always choose good fights. So, I can't help but think what that means for my Baby Drake? Let's go ahead and schedule the tonsillectomy for three years from now. Maybe by then, those tonsils will be worth something!

No comments:

Post a Comment