Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Week 32!

Everyone's a Critic...
We have officially reached that stage with Drew where he thinks we are totally uncool, just about wrong in whatever we say or do, and know nothing about the world today. He's only 8!!! Yesterday, he was talking about a kid at school who was "Rapping". Halfway through his story, he turns to look at Shawn and I and says, "You know what rapping is, right?" Shawn was very put out by this and said that of course he knew what rapping was and did Drew think Shawn was that uncool? I decided to make the conversation a little easier by stating that of course his father and I knew what "wrapping" was. I mean, hadn't he seen us wrap gifts in decorative paper before? Drew just sighed and rolled his eyes and Shawn said, gee thanks for making that better! I realize that conversations like this are totally why it is my fault that Drew has such a witt and isn't afraid to use it. Yesterday afternoon, I told him and Dawsyn to stay in the van because I just had to run in and get Delaney very quickly from preschool. Well, of course I had to stop and talk to the teacher and then to a teacher Drew and Dawsyn had when they went there and a parent of a student I have this year, so it took a little longer than I had originally anticipated. When I got back out to the car, Dawsyn is in tears and says, "Mom, I was so worried, I thought something had happened to you, like maybe you were poisoned!" (Dawsyn is my dramatic one!). Drew just rolls his eyes and said, "I told her nothing was wrong and that the only thing you had probably been poisoned by was "Deep conversation!" I don't know where he gets it?!?
And My Delaney...
Yesterday was "D" day at school. All of the kids needed to bring in items that started with the letter D. Delaney takes great pride in finding odd or unusual things to take in every week. For A, she took an ant and I told her that was good, but then she pointed out that it had an antenna and that was why she was taking it. For C, she took scissors. This one took me a minute and I thought I was going to have to persuade her to take something else until she showed me that scissor "cut". She was pretty sure she was the only person who would have an "action" to share with the class. So, apparantly at her D presentation, Delaney pulled out a picture of her and her three siblings. She explained that they are Drew, Dawsyn, Delaney, and Dax which all start with D. The teacher asked her if her parents had picked out a name for the new baby yet and she told them that we hadn't, but she had a name she really liked. She preceded to tell them that she wanted to name the baby "Dam". Well, of course this led to snickering and gasps from the rest of the four year olds. Delaney got upset because she didn't understand what their problem was. As she explained to me later, she likes the name Dam because it rhymes with Ham and she REEEEAALLLY likes ham! The teacher tried to point out to the kids that a dam is just something that holds water, but a few kids protested and insisted that it is a bad word. The teacher told them is is only a bad word if you say it when you are angry. One child raised their hand at this point and said, "My parents say it when they are angry a lot!". (Glad that wasn't my kid!) . Needless to say, at the dinner table last night, Shawn and I tried to explain to Delaney that Dam was a bad word the way she meant it, but that it can be a bad word and it would just be best for her not to say it anymore. She left the table still insisting that she liked it and we should use it for the new baby. I can just imagine the announcements: Our children, Drew, Dawsyn, Delaney, Dax, and Dam!
Love My Dax!
You gotta love having a two year old! They certainly keep life interesting. Last night at Daxton's Kindermusik class, I am sitting on the floor as close to Indian-style as possible (believe me, it is much more Chief Wampanoag than Indian Princess at this point!) and leaning back on my arms since Little D is deciding to stick straight out in front these days. Little D starts "rolling" around in my belly and makes it look like a scene out of the movie, "Alien". Dax sees this and puts both hands on my belly and very excitedly yells, "Is it coming out now?!" When I tell him no, he pouts his little mouth up and says, "OH Darn it!". Of course, at this point, all of the other parents in Kindermusik are laughing and I force a smile and try to stand up so we can do the circle dance that ends class. I do love this stage with Dax. Only at this age can the child tell you a 5 minute long story about accidentally peeing on Grammy's pants in the porta-potty and use words like, "porta-potty", "actually", and "hand-sanitizer", one minute, and the next point to the refrigerator and demand "drinky"! He actually got on the phone with me the other day while I was at work and went through each family member asking where they were. When he got to himself, he starts laughing hysterically before I can answer and says, "Oh--I'm right here!". At least my children have a great sense of humor. How can you not in our family? Today is "Crazy day" for spirit week at school. I, of course, am not so into Spirit week this year and just wore normal clothes, if you can call pants that don't really have a belly normal. One of my students made a sign for me to wear on my belly that says, "this is number 5!" because, as she said, that is crazy! Needless to say, my coworkers got a kick out of it! Oh well, 6 more weeks and hopefully all of the attention will switch from me to the baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment