Tuesday, April 19, 2011

He's BA-ACK!

Shawn made it back from Vegas in one piece. The kids were relieved and it only took Drake about a day to realize he really does like Daddy better, so I don't exist again! We got home from the airport around midnight and the next morning, we started right back into all of our activities. Shawn had to coach soccer and I took Dawsyn to her First Communion Retreat. She is getting excited to make her First Communion, although her main concern seems to be what she is wearing. Sometimes keeping that girl focused on what is most important is very difficult! The weekend was busy, but nice. On Monday morning, I was relieved to have Shawn there to help get the day started with the kids...for about 5 minutes!!! Then I realized he had forgotten to make the coffee like he said he would, he had left the corner roll-top cupboard open (a consistently annoying habit of his), and the kids were totally distracted with him being there. Instead of jumping right in and getting stuff done, they just kind of sat around and did a whole lot of nothing. I couldn't believe it! It was actually more organized and easier by myself? How is that possible???? The more women I talk to, the more I realize this is a common phenomena I will term the "Daddy effect". When Daddy is away, the kids try very hard to behave, help out, and get everything done. I realize I also am most organized, least distracted, and in charge of getting things done. I tend to start something and finish it. Shawn tends to start five things, forget two, and possibly finish something from yesterday. This is all a huge distraction to the kids, who instead of staying at the table and listening to Mommy's directions, choose to go hang on Daddy's legs, or be entertained by watching Daddy open numerous cupboards in succession, while never actually taking anything out. Around 6:30, Daddy finally snaps back to reality and starts saying "Time to leave!" At this point, he manages to not notice that one child is shoeless, one child is crying for a drink, two forgot their bookbags, and the oldest, who is supposed to be the easiest has his socks on his hands and is staring at them while turning his hands from side to side! The saying, "Can't live with him, can't live without him" comes to mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment