Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving...getting ready for the holidays.







In my opinion, the best part of the holiday season is all of the family traditions. I look forward to our traditions each year and hope that someday the kids will too. I hope someday, they will want to continue the same traditions with their own families. My husband has a tradition of his own around the holidays--forgetting that we have traditions! Every year we go through the same thing, I pull out the cookies sheets the day after Thanksgiving to do our annual cookie baking day and he acts surprised, or I call mom and dad to borrow their air mattresses because we always decorate the big tree on Thanksgiving and then sleep in front of it that night as a family and wonders what I need them for. I think I need to write them down so that if something happens to me, someone will know what traditions to continue. As we were decorating the house on Saturday with the remainder of our 9 Christmas trees (I know, overkill), I brought up this conversation. I told him that I was concerned what would happen to all of our family traditions if something happened to me. He stated that he knew one thing for sure--he wouldn't be putting out the Santa toilet seat cover or the annoying snowman that talks to you while you are trying to pee! Glad he could make me feel better! In his defense, he was hanging perilously between the couch and the fireplace, replacing our usual curtains with our Christmas ones!




The kids are more like me, though! They put on their annual Thanksgiving play. It gets more interesting every year as they get more into it. And, we did sleep in front of the tree on Thanksgiving night.




Traditions are starting to change as the kids get older, though. For instance, I don't think we will be able to do our funny family Christmas card much longer. This year, when they came in the mail after I had ordered them, I showed them to the kids and asked them what they thought. Boy, have they turned into critics! Delaney said she didn't like it, Dawsyn said it was "OK", but the best reaction was from my little Republican who stated that it was nice, but it would be better if he were being paid for the use of his image! The use of his image??? He wants royalties on the family Christmas card??? Yeah, some traditions may need to change!

No comments:

Post a Comment