Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Our little Mia Hamm

Delaney had her very first soccer game last night. She was so excited getting ready, pulling on her socks, putting on her pink cleats. She was just beaming. Then when everyone came to watch her, she just kept waving from the field, so excited to see everyone. Shawn is her coach. This is the 3rd of our children he has coached in one sport or another (Drew-soccer and football, Dawsyn-basketball, and now Delaney-soccer). So far, she is the easiest. Whatever he tells her, she just smiles and says "OK-Daddy" and then goes and does whatever she wants anyway! They did get in a little argument over the name for the team. She really wanted her team to be called "The Girly-girls". Shawn refused to coach a team by that name! So, they settled on "The Wildcats"! When she went in as goalie last night, Dax ran over to the edge of the field, pointed his finger at her, and screamed at the top of his lungs, "Layne! Don't let that ball get past you!" One benefit of having so many kids is that they all begin to fill in the parenting duties. It seems the more I have, the more the words are taken right out of my mouth by one of them. She did really well. It was just plain adorable to watch these 5 year olds run around after the ball and Shawn trying to coach them and having to kneel periodically to re-tie someones shoe!
Drew got the results of his state-required testing last week (he came out with a high IQ and a high school reading and language level). He did really well, and will get to be in special classes next year based on the results. I am proud of him, and want him to be proud of who he is, but I also don't want him to get an elitist attitude or to use labels like "gifted" because all of my kids are "gifted" in something and I don't want them to compare themselves or feel like somehow they fall short! Besides, I knew he was smart and thought on a different level than most 8 year olds, I didn't need a test to tell me this! God gives us each gifts and we don't really get a say in what they are--if that were the case, I would be able to sing like an angel--which I don't. As Delaney reminded me last night in the car on the way home--"Mom--I really like Daddy's voice A LOT better than yours!" Thanks, Layne!

No comments:

Post a Comment